ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship
In recent years, funding for mid-career researchers has become increasingly difficult to obtain, jeopardising the future career of many of our colleagues in bone and mineral research. The ANZBMS has therefore created a new mid-career targeted Fellowship Award with the intention of supporting emerging leaders in bone and mineral research and with particular consideration given to those at acute risk due to the current funding climate.
ANZBMS will fund up to two one-year 'Gap Fellowships'/Mid-Career Fellowships of AUD$50,000. In order to be awarded, the applicant's administering institution must match this amount. Funds will be for salaries only, to be paid in two instalments (initial and at six months). The Award does not cover any on-costs. Successful applicants cannot reapply for the award in subsequent years.
In order to be eligible to apply, applicants at the time of application must:
- Have been ANZBMS members for at least two years;
- Be at least five years to a maximum of fifteen years post highest degree (usually PhD). This period may be extended to account for career disruptions including carer's duties and/or significant illness;
- Have applied unsuccessfully to a nationally competitive fellowship scheme within the last 18 months (listed on the Australian competitive grant register or a New Zealand equivalent);
- In the last 3 years have applied either successfully or unsuccessfully for grant funding related to bone and mineral research as a Chief Investigator to a nationally competitive scheme;
- Conduct their research in Australia and/or New Zealand for the duration of the Fellowship.
- An ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship cannot be held simultaneously with any other Fellowship.
How to apply:
Eligible applicants should submit:
- A two-page description of their current research and the anticipated progress of this research during the ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship. The outline should state how this fellowship will help the applicant be competitive in the next round of funding. It should also describe the potential impact of the applicant not receiving the ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship.
- A bio-sketch (three pages maximum) including funding obtained, publications accepted, and relevant highlights of conference presentations during the past five years (corrected for career disruptions)
- Evidence of date of highest degree and career disruptions;
- A copy of their current contract or appointment letter clearly indicating completion date as this will be considered in the ranking process;
- A copy of the notification of the outcome of their application to a nationally competitive fellowship scheme;
- A letter of support from the applicant's Institution confirming that the AUD$50,000 Fellowship funds will be matched if the applicant was successful.
- Evidence of at least one chief investigator grant funding application related to bone and mineral research that has been submitted or awarded in the past 3 years
Applications should be submitted through the RAO of the applicant’s administering institution together with a letter providing evidence of matching funds. Applications should be sent to the following address:
Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society
c/o Ivone Johnson
145 Macquarie Street
Sydney, NSW 2000
Applications can also be emailed to Ivone Johnson, ANZBMS Executive Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 1September 2017
Successful applicants will be notified of the outcome in early December 2017. If the applicant is awarded another Fellowship prior to notification of the outcome of the ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship they must withdraw their application as soon as possible.
If the successful applicant is awarded another Fellowship or relocates out of Australia or New Zealand during the tenure of the ANZBMS Mid-Career Fellowship, funds will be paid on a pro-rata basis only and the Fellowship will be terminated. Similar rules apply if the successful applicant is awarded a grant or contract that includes funding for the successful applicant’s salary.
For further questions please contact
Ivone Johnson (email@example.com)
2018 - Dana Bliuc
2017 - Nicki Lee, Rachel Davey
2016 - Allison Pettit